Thursday 2 August 2007

Ride on, Willie

While driving from the Danube Delta down towards Constanta, we were hailed by the Police. “Here we go” I thought and got myself ready for some fine for some rule just made up. Perhaps I was a little hasty in my judgement. It transpired that the police were attempting to help a German cyclist who was no longer able to cycle his bike. As I greeted the police with a Buna Zeau they assumed I was a local, so I then had to communicate that I could not understand him!!…thought the steering wheel would have given it away.
The cyclist had a trailer with his bike and was doing a world tour, he was also due to do a tv interview in Constanta the next day as he was famous for his cycles. I then remembered about Heinz Stucke, but could not recall his name at the time. This cyclist called himself Willie. I kept asking him if he had had his bike stolen in UK, but he misunderstood my English. After measuring the van, he said his bike and trailer would not fit. By then the police had hailed a bigger van, so we are optimistic that Willie made it to the next town.
Finally we made it to our campsite between Constanta and the border. It is a resort campsite…..with the pleasure of squat toilets whose doors don’t lock!! Nice. Still we are making the most of wifi and communicating and researching the next bit of our trip. We are hopeful of spending one week in a small village in Bulgaria helping out on an organic farm/campsite and getting to meet some local village folk.
To all who would like to visit Romania, I advise you to do so before it is homogenised into the EU empire. The cottage food industry is still alive here, but it wont be for long. The traditional peasant life continues in the north of the country, but who knows for how long if it no longer is necessary. As the roads get better, more people from the west will surely come here in greater numbers and so the prices will rise and rise…

On Thursday we cross the border and say hello to Bulgaria and attempt to get to grips with its fine language and alphabet.

1 comment:

Mairead said...

Hi Tom and Laura
Your travels in Romania sounds fabulous. Hopefully ye will be able to help out at that organic farm Laura would be sure to fall in love with it and steal all their vegetables! You both would be able to advise them on growing vegetables. As per usual your photos are gorgeous and enable me and all who see the pictures to get a great feel for the places ye visit. When are ye planning on coming home? Am really looking forward to seeing ye both,
lots of love from
Mairead